The Costco Enchilada Bake Odyssey
Costco… the wonderland of bulk items and free samples! A place where you can find anything from electronics to your favorite snacks. But let’s not forget about the deli section filled with ready made meals, especially the Costco Enchilada Bake that has everyone coming back for seconds! The warm layers of tortillas, succulent chicken, and gooey cheese—mouth-watering, isn’t it? Today we’ll give you the low down on the best copycat Costco enchilada bake recipe! By the end of this article, you’ll probably be heading to the grocery store (maybe even Costco!) to pick up what you need for a flavorful fiesta tonight!
There’s something incredibly rewarding about recreating this delicious dish at home. You control the ingredients, the spices, and, most importantly, the portion sizes! That said, it’s time to take that Kirkland Signature Enchilada Bake and transform it into something homemade yet equally mouthwatering.
Today, we’re unraveling the secrets behind this beloved meal. We’re pretty sure this homemade Costco Enchilada Bake recipe be the talk of your next family dinner!
The Enchilada Bake Chronicles: Why We’re Obsessed
The enchilada, a cornerstone of Mexican food, has been a family favorite for years. Originating from Mexico, this dish has evolved in countless delicious ways. Whether filled with black beans, pinto beans, or delicious chicken, it captures the essence of comfort food in every bite. I have to admit, I’m a sucker for good Mexican food! Especially enchiladas!
But why do enchilada bakes have a special place in our hearts and on our dinner tables? The answer is simple: they are a feast of flavors that take less time to prepare than individual enchiladas. With a baking dish, you layer your ingredients once; corn tortillas or flour tortillas, cheese, and your favorite toppings, and you’ve got an easy meal ready for the oven. And hey, we’re ALL about easy at Kitchen Easy Life!
Moreover, enchiladas are not just food; they are an experience—a story told through the medley of spices and ingredients that are combined with love and creativity. Perfect for gatherings, parties, or a simple family dinner, enchilada bakes are everything we love about eating together.
Grocery Cart Basics: Ingredients Unveiled
Before embarking on this culinary quest, we need to stock up. The Costco enchilada bake recipe is pretty forgiving but it comes to life with the right ingredients. You’ll need things like corn tortillas, red enchilada sauce, cheddar cheese, and perhaps some Monterey Jack cheese to give it that extra kick. If you’re a fan of green chiles, throw some in there too!
When it comes to substitutions, if you’re allergic to tree nuts or crustacean shellfish, make sure you’re aware of the daily values and contents of your chosen enchilada sauce or other premade components. Some people prefer using whole wheat flour tortillas over corn tortillas to up the grams of protein. That’s a viable option!
Quality matters, people! Look for organic black beans, pinto beans, and other ingredients. You can either go to your local Costco or visit a specialty grocery store to gather what you need. This easy recipe will taste even better when you’ve sourced the best items for it.
Gear Up: The Essential Toolbox
Before you start layering those delicious ingredients in your baking dish, let’s talk tools. You’ll need the basics like a mixing bowl, measuring cups, and an instant-read thermometer to check the internal temperature. But, some specialized gadgets could make your life easier—like a rubber spatula that can help evenly spread your sour cream or red sauce.
Optional but helpful tools include items that make the cooking process smoother. Do you have a chopper? Great for dicing that red onion to perfection! How about a plastic lid for your baking dish? It’s an easy way to keep your Costco enchilada bake fresh if you’re storing it for next time.
Last but not least, it’s essential to keep your tools in great shape. Whether it’s a baking dish or a simple mixing bowl, proper care ensures longevity. For metal or glass baking dishes, wrapping them in plastic wrap or aluminum foil before storage prevents moisture and keeps them ready for your next cooking venture.
Chop, Measure, Pour: Prepping Like a Pro
The moment has arrived! It’s time to get chopping, measuring, and pouring! Start by washing all your vegetables. Peel and dice that red onion, and let’s get those black beans and pinto beans ready. Also, if you’re using leftover rotisserie chicken, this is the time to shred it finely. Make sure your chicken enchilada casserole recipe includes all the flavors you love.
Organization is key here. When you measure out your ingredients, place them in individual bowls or cups. This will save you time and stress, making the process flow like a well-oiled machine. For example, put your half-pound portions of cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack cheese in separate bowls. Do the same for your red and green sauces, and any other ingredients you’ll need.
Lastly, don’t forget to preheat your oven! You want it hot and ready to welcome your creation. If your baking dish has been stored in the fridge, bring it to room temperature before layering to avoid any drastic temperature changes that could result in cracking or breaking.
Layering 101: Constructing the Perfect Costco Enchilada Bake
Now that your prep work is done, let’s move on to the fun part: layering! Start with a layer of corn tortillas at the bottom of your baking dish. These act as a sturdy foundation for your Costco enchilada bake recipe. If you’re looking for a gluten-free option, corn tortillas are your best friend. However, flour tortillas can also work wonders, adding a different but equally tasty dimension.
The next layer is all about the proteins and beans. Whether you’ve opted for shredded chicken or want to keep it vegetarian with black beans and pinto beans, this layer adds the heartiness that we all love. If you’re a fan of spice, sprinkle some chili peppers or poblano peppers for an extra kick.
Finally, it’s cheese and sauce time! Drizzle a generous cup of enchilada sauce, either red or green, depending on your preference, over your protein layer. Top it off with a hearty sprinkle of Mexican cheese blend, which can include cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, or any of your favorites. The goal is to create a mouthwatering mosaic of flavors and textures, so don’t be shy!
Into the Oven: The Transformation
With all your layers in place, it’s time to slide that baking dish into your preheated oven. But wait, let’s cover it with some aluminum foil first. This helps keep the moisture in, ensuring your enchiladas don’t dry out. Plus, it helps the cheese melt to gooey perfection. You want to hit an internal temperature of around 165°F, and your instant-read thermometer will come in handy here.
Around halfway through, you can remove the foil to let the top layer of cheese get that delightful golden-brown. Keep an eye on it though; you don’t want to go from delicious to burnt! Depending on your oven, cooking times can vary.
By the time it’s done cooking, your kitchen is filled with the mouth-watering aroma of cheese, chicken and spices! Your nose will know when it’s time to pull your Costco enchilada bake out of the oven. Let it cool for about 10 minutes; patience pays off here! The cheese needs to set a little to make sure your delicious dinner doesn’t turn into a gooey puddle when you serve it.
The Grand Finale: Serving and Enjoying
You’ve baked, you’ve waited, and now it’s time to serve this culinary masterpiece! Slide your spatula under those hearty layers and serve generous portions. Don’t forget to add your favorite toppings like sour cream, lime juice, or even some diced red bell peppers for an added crunch. You can never go wrong with a little extra flair!
Family dinner will never be the same after you introduce this dish. It’s not just an easy meal; it’s a whole experience. Pair it with some delicious side dishes like roasted corn or white rice, and you’ve got a full-on feast that the whole family will enjoy.
Last but certainly not least, let’s talk leftovers. Have you ever noticed that some meals taste way better the next day? This is one of them! If you have some of this delicious chicken enchilada casserole remaining, store it in an airtight container. Pop a plastic lid on your baking dish or wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, and into the fridge it goes. The next time you’re craving this scrumptious dish, you’ll know exactly where to find it.
How to Make Costco’s Enchilada Bake?
- Ingredients: Gather tortillas, shredded chicken, cheese, enchilada sauce, onions, bell peppers, and spices.
- Step 1: Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Step 2: In a skillet, sauté onions and bell peppers.
- Step 3: Add shredded chicken and half of the enchilada sauce. Stir well.
- Step 4: Lay out tortillas, fill with chicken mixture, and roll up.
- Step 5: Place enchiladas in a baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over and sprinkle with cheese.
- Step 6: Bake for 20-25 minutes until bubbly and golden.
- Tip: Experiment with ingredients like black beans or corn for a twist!
Is Costco Enchilada Bake Pre-Cooked?
- Short Answer: Yes, typically.
- The enchilada bake available at Costco is usually pre-cooked. This means you just need to reheat it before serving, making it a convenient meal option.
How Many Calories Are in a Costco Enchilada Bake?
- Calorie Count: Approximately 300-400 calories per serving.
- Considerations: Calorie count can vary based on ingredients and serving size. For a healthier twist, consider using low-fat cheese or increasing the veggies.
How Do You Reheat Costco Frozen Enchiladas?
- Oven Method:
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Place enchiladas in an oven-safe dish.
- Cover with foil to prevent drying out.
- Heat for about 25 minutes or until thoroughly warm.
- Microwave Method:
- Place enchiladas in a microwave-safe dish.
- Cover with a microwave-safe lid or plastic wrap.
- Heat on high for 2-3 minutes, checking intermittently.
What Is in Costco’s Chicken Bake?
- Main Ingredients: Chicken, cheese, bacon, Caesar dressing, and a unique dough.
- Fun Fact: Did you know? The chicken bake is one of Costco’s most popular food court items, loved for its savory and hearty filling.
How much chicken do you need per person?
|Number of People
|Total Chicken Needed
|Chicken per Person
|0.5 lb (225g)
|0.5 lb (225g)
|1 lb (450g)
|0.5 lb (225g)
|2 lbs (900g)
|0.5 lb (225g)
|3 lbs (1.35kg)
|0.5 lb (225g)
|4 lbs (1.8kg)
|0.5 lb (225g)
|5 lbs (2.25kg)
|0.5 lb (225g)
Your New Family Favorite
We hope you’re as excited as we are about this delicious enchilada bake! Whether you like layering or are all about the roll, this easy chicken enchilada casserole will not disappoint! It’s not just another dish; it’s a celebration of flavors, a tapestry of textures, and most importantly, a family favorite waiting to happen!
Now that you have this easy recipe in your arsenal, dinner planning just got a whole lot easier. Who knew that something so delicious could also be so easy to make? Whether it’s a weeknight dinner or a special gathering, this dish is sure to be a hit!
So the next time you find yourself wandering through the aisles of your local Costco, you can walk past that premade meal in the deli section with a smile, knowing you’ve got something even better waiting for you at home!
Costco Enchilada Bake RecipeCourse: DinnerCuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Easy
Creamy beans, succulent chicken, and tangy sauces—all beautifully woven together by the rich, gooey Mexican cheese blend, making each bite an unforgettable experience for your taste buds.
3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 oz) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (4 oz) green chiles, drained
2 cups frozen roasted corn
2 cups red enchilada sauce
1 cup green sauce
2 cups Mexican cheese blend (cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack cheese)
12 corn tortillas
1 red onion, finely diced
Sour cream for topping
Your favorite toppings like sliced jalapenos, cilantro, and lime wedges
Instant-read thermometer (optional)
- Preheat and Prep: Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a baking dish and set aside.
- Bean and Corn Mix: In a mixing bowl, combine black beans, pinto beans, and roasted corn. Mix well and set aside.
- Chicken Layer: In a separate bowl, mix shredded rotisserie chicken with green chiles. Add a little bit of the red enchilada sauce to moisten the mixture.
- Start Layering: Place a layer of corn tortillas at the bottom of the baking dish. Add a layer of the bean and corn mix, followed by a layer of the chicken mixture. Sprinkle some diced red onion on top. Or roll up chicken and cheese in each tortilla.
- Sauce and Cheese: Drizzle red enchilada sauce and green sauce over the layers. Sprinkle a generous portion of Mexican cheese blend on top.
- Repeat: Repeat the layering process until all ingredients are used, finishing with a layer of cheese on top.
- Cover and Bake: Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and place it in the preheated oven. Bake for 30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (if using an instant-read thermometer).
- Final Touch: Remove the aluminum foil and continue baking for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese on top is melted and slightly golden.
- Cool and Serve: Let the enchilada bake cool for a few minutes before serving. Add dollops of sour cream and your favorite toppings.
Craving more delicious recipes? Try these: Homemade Cheddar Cheese Shells